Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Recent Chapter Book Reading

In the last few months, M and I have read all four books in the Mrs Piggle-Wiggle series by Betty MacDonald. I don't know how I missed reading these when I was a child, but I'm glad I got the chance to read them now.

For those who don't know her, Mrs Piggle-Wiggle is an older woman who has no children of her own. However, she adores having children over to play, cook, make messes. and generally have a blast. She knows so much about children that parents call her for help when their sons and daughters are giving them trouble. Each chapter is named for a certain type of cure that Mrs Piggle-Wiggle comes up with like the Won't Pick Up Toys Cure or the Never Won't To Go To Bedders Cure or the Slow-Eater-Tiny-Bite-Taker Cure.

As a parent, I particularly enjoyed seeing how the parents in the book had such similar experiences to ones I've had even though the books were written in the late 40s and early 50s.

We are currently reading The Moffats by Eleanor Estes, another great book that I missed as a child. It's about the adventures of the four Moffat Children, Sylvie, Joe, Jane, and Rufus, who range in age from 5-15, and it was first published in 1940. There are several sequels and I'm sure we'll read them as well.

Some other chapter books we've read recently are:
The Littles by John Peterson
Chocolate Fever by Robert Smith
The Mystery of the Blue Ring (Polka Dot Private Eye) by Patricia Reilly Giff - This one inspired M to start playing detective and asking for more mystery books.

No comments: